Sometimes our routines can become a bit mundane. I know that I’ve fallen into that trap recently. It seems that everything I’ve been cooking seems, well, “just okay.” That’s because it has gotten easy for me to cook the same things over and over again each week. The problem is that with food, it can sometimes lead us to have cravings if we don’t change things up a bit.
The good news is that on the healing diet, there are a lot of food choices that enable us to create some amazing meals. The more I cook, the more I realize why cooking is referred to as “an art.” There can be so many twists and variations on foods depending on the cook.
I personally love carrots. They are a staple in my refrigerator and one vegetable that my entire family can agree upon. 🙂 For a new twist on this go-to vegetable, I just happened to come across a great recipe for roasted carrots with lemon dressing that is worth sharing. Roasting carrots really intensifies their naturally sweet flavor. The addition of the tart, lemon dressing adds a nice contrast to the carrot’s natural sweetness and is truly refreshing.
As with most recipes, it took a few tweaks to make it applicable for the healing diet. I’ve included the changes that I made to the recipe below, but of course, please modify to your liking.
- I used 1 lb. of organic baby carrots cut in half lengthwise.
- I did not decrease the amount of oil or cayenne even though I used 1 lb. of carrots instead of 3lbs. I would however, be tempted to double the amount of oil and cayenne used if I decided to cook the full 3 lbs. of carrots that were called for.
- In place of the honey, I used 2 tablespoons of Steviva Blend.
- I did not measure the lemon zest or juice used. The zest and juice from one organic lemon worked very well.
- 3 pounds carrots (15 to 20 medium), cut into pieces 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick or (1 lb. baby carrots cut in half lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons honey or (2 tablespoons Steviva Blend for healing diet)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons juice (from about 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss carrots with oil and cayenne; season with salt. Arrange in a single layer (use two baking sheets if necessary). Roast, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes for 3lbs. or 20 minutes for 1 lb.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey (Steviva Blend for healing diet), zest, and lemon juice; season with salt. If making ahead of time, cover and refrigerate carrots and dressing separately, up to 1 day. Otherwise, drizzle dressing over cooked carrots (still on baking sheet); toss to coat. Transfer to a serving dish; serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from marthastewart.com